10 years ago No Comments

(pronounced fen-uh-STRAY-shun)

This is one big fancy word to designate windows and doors – more specifically, their design, layout, and proportioning on a building. It can also just mean a hole in a surface, such as an exterior or interior wall. It’s a very old word that you will encounter when studying architectural history; however, you will see it used in modern contexts as well, especially when talking about thermal performance and energy efficiency of windows and doors.