8 years ago No Comments

(pronounced gil-LOSH or gee-YOSH – a “hard g” in both cases)

A very mellifluous noun – from the French, as you might have guessed – meaning a decorative pattern made up of multiple interlacing curved lines, which frequently include round elements as well. Guilloche can be traditional or contemporary and can appear in a number of ways: carved into stone and applied architecturally, pieced together with mosaics for decorative floor or wall treatments, formed out of or pressed into metals for exterior or interior elements, drawn or painted onto panels, walls or papers, etc.