10 years ago No Comments

(pronounced REE-ding)

A decorative term that can apply to architectural ornamentation as well as to furniture and accessories. It describes (usually a series of) thin, parallel convex moldings set close together. Each of these is called a reed, and together it is known as reeding. On buildings, you’ll commonly see it carved – or pre-cast – in stone. In interiors, it might show up in stone, wood, plaster, or metal. On contract furniture, it’s a common edge detail for wood office furniture and/or reception desks. Reeding, by the way, is the reverse of fluting.