10 years ago No Comments

(pronounced SELL-vehj)

You will also see this word spelled “selvedge”, but it means the same thing. In general, the term means a border or an edge, but when it comes to the design industry, it gets more specific, and it’s related to textiles. When someone says “selvage” they are probably talking about the edge of a textile roll or bolt that is meant to be cut off and discarded because it was necessary only for the manufacturing process and not meant to be used in application. However, some items, like rugs or tablecloths or the like, have an edge that is of different or heavier threads than rest of the fabric, and sometimes it’s even different weave. This edge is also called a selvage. Though it most definitely can be decorative, the primary purpose is to prevent raveling of the main weave.