10 years ago No Comments

(pronounced shi-feh-NIR)

Chiffoniers have a dual personality. Not only can the word also be spelled as “cheffonier,” but two distinct types of furniture can be called a chiffonier. On one hand, the term can be used to refer to a tall, narrow chest of drawers, sometimes with an attached mirror, which might or might not swivel. On the other hand, the word can describe a smaller type of sideboard that is fully enclosed on the front with doors of wood, glass or fabric inserts. These chiffoniers feature a raised gallery and/or shelf on the back, sometimes of brass.